Tuesday 22 July 2008

Walking before running

Warning: Drunk post about ladders..

Well, this is a very sombre (and yet drunk) post. A thread called 'This is how i go broke' really got me thinking about my future in poker. This guys basically bitching about how hes always depositing, then losing his whole BR playing well over his head 'cuz i cant be bother with brmanagment'. I respnded basically telling him he was a idiot, and had no excuses for not winning, and it struck me that just over a month ago i WAS that guy. I lost a whole deposit on Party, and my FT account is crippled, all beacause i was a shite player. This then made me look at where i am now, and the improvment is vast. Dont read this wrong, im not saying im anywhere near a consistant and good player, i still consider my self firmly on 'Rung 1' of my poker ladder, but at least ive got off the floor now! Through CC and my own work ive actually managed to create a winning game. Now to be fair, its only a 2NL and 5NL atm, but my BR is actually growing (well not today..) which is almost scary in a way. It means that ive got to choose wether i want to continue learning and putting that extra effort in that the 'donk' poster refues to do and move up the levels, or sit 'content' where i am. Pretty much a no-brainer..

After these deep musings i had to reel myself in a little, i was ready to go get an account on stox, buy 50+ books and turn pro. Obviously not a realistic short-term goal. So then i started thinking about the phrase 'You have to learn to walk before you can run', and i realised it plays such a huge part in early poker players careers. Its hard after watching Rex take down yet another $2600 in tourney (thats his second plus a sunday warm up csah, congrats rex!) not to think 'well ill just satty into a big tourney like the 100K, take it down and bobs yours uncle!'. But these players started where we all start, at the bottom of their own ladders, and just because theyve gone up rungs in their ladder, doesnt mean we should skip rungs on ours. This is a drunk post, but what i think im trying to get at is that i finally realised today how 'long-term' poker really is. Who cares if i drop $20 today, when looking at the bigger picture that wont even be a blip on my graph.

2 comments:

Jurn8 said...

good post AJ im going to work hard on my game because im in a similar boat to you and maybe when i go off to uni i will have more free time and can spend that improving, i didnt know you had a blog either so will add that to my own blog.
Jake

Icemonkey9 said...

nice post and nice blog man, thanks for the link to mine - i have added you to my list on my blog as well. Very good outlook on poker from this post, although i hope you never play poker while drinking!